Institutional FX trading volumes inch up slightly in October 2021
Following a nice rebound in September after a somewhat slow summer, trading volumes at leading institutional FX platforms ticked up slightly in October 2021, although with mixed results from the different major eFX players.
While FXSpotStream and EuronextFX each posted 4-5% MoM increases in FX trading volumes, Cboe FX and Deutsche Borse’s 360T reported slight declines. Overall, our calculations show that institutional FX volumes were up on average by 1.6% over September.
Cboe FX (formerly HotspotFX)
- October 2021 average daily volumes were $34.17 billion, -0.4% from September’s $34.30 billion.
EuronextFX (formerly FastMatch)
- October 2021 ADV $19.32 billion, +4.2% above September’s ADV of $18.54 billion.
- FXSpotStream’s ADV MoM (October ‘21 vs September ‘21) increased 4.35% to USD50.455billion. October’s ADV was the 3rd highest ever for FXSpotStream.
- FXSpotStream’s ADV YoY (October ‘21 vs October ‘20) increased 29.75% to USD50.455billion resulting in a YoY increase every month so far in 2021 except one.
- FXSpotStream’s Overall Volume YoY (October ‘21 vs October ‘20) increased 23.86% to USD1.060trillion, crossing the USD1trillion mark for the sixth time this year.
- FXSpotStream’s ADV YTD (Jan-Oct ‘21 vs Jan-Oct ‘20) increased 14.63% to USD48.665billion when compared to the same period last year.
- Average daily volumes (ADV) at 360T came in at $22.17 billion in October, down 2.0% from September’s $22.63 billion.